Federal Government disaster payments are available now to eligible residents in eight additional local government areas (LGAs) affected by the severe storms and flooding that continue to impact large areas of New South Wales.

The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment (AGDRP) and Disaster Recovery Allowance (DRA) is now available in the local government areas of Cumberland, Mid Coast, Muswellbrook, Nambucca, Newcastle, Port Stephens, Randwick and Warren, which brings the number of LGAs receiving disaster payments as a result of this event to 37.

The assistance has also previously been made available in the local government areas of: Bayside, Blacktown, Blue Mountains, Camden, Canterbury-Bankstown, Campbelltown, Central Coast, Cessnock, Dungog, Fairfield, Georges River, Hawkesbury, Hornsby, Kiama, Lake Macquarie, Lithgow, Liverpool, Maitland, Northern Beaches, Penrith, Shellharbour, Shoalhaven, Singleton, Sutherland, The Hills, Upper Lachlan, Wingecarribee, Wollondilly and Wollongong.

The one-off AGDRP of $1000 per eligible adult and $400 per eligible child is available to people who live in those LGAs and who have suffered a significant loss as a result of the floods, including a severely damaged or destroyed home or a serious injury. It is a non-means tested, tax-exempt payment.

The Disaster Recovery Allowance has also been made available to assist employees and sole traders who experience a loss of income as a direct result of a major disaster and is payable for a maximum of 13 weeks. The Disaster Recovery Payment is a taxable, fortnightly payment.

Minister for Emergency Management, Senator the Hon Murray Watt said as areas were disaster declared, the Albanese Government was making sure financial support was extended to residents.

“The floods were widespread and lasted several days, and as the extent of the damage is reported, we are continuing to make sure support is made available,” Minister Watt said.

“This funding will help to provide for immediate needs, including temporary accommodation, food and clothing.”

Minister for Government Services Bill Shorten said Services Australia’s priority was helping people access essential disaster assistance.

“Staff from Services Australia are processing claims as quickly as possible to ensure people have money available to meet their immediate needs,” Minister Shorten said.

“Almost 528,000 people affected by the severe storms and flooding in New South Wales have already received more than $436 million in Australian Government disaster assistance.

“The fastest and easiest way for people in these additional LGAs to claim is through myGov.

“If people need help to claim, they can call the Australian Government Emergency Information Line on 180 22 66.”

The Australian Government Emergency Information Line is available Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm, and this coming weekend from 9am to 4pm.

Equivalent financial assistance will also be available to eligible New Zealand citizens (‘non-protected’ Special Category Visas, subclass 444 holders) affected by the floods.

Information on disaster assistance can be found on the National Recovery and Resilience Agency’s website.

Originally published by Prime Minister, Minister for Emergency Management, Minister for Government Services