- SYDNEY, AAP – AGL boss Brett Redman is leaving the energy provider after only last month starting efforts to create separate coal-fired power and clean energy businesses.
The company on Thursday said Mr Redman had resigned after two and a half years as CEO, effective immediately, as he could not commit beyond the proposed demerger.
AGL plans to have one business offering low carbon-emitting technologies, providing consumers electricity, gas, internet and mobile services. The other will continue operating coal-fired power stations to generate electricity.
The AGL board wanted alternative leadership to guide the demerger once it became aware of Mr Redman’s situation.
Mr Redman had made the initial case for the structural separation of the business.
Chairman Graeme Hunt will stand down to become interim managing director and chief executive.
He will be paid a salary of $1.65 million, and receive $600,000 worth of company shares.
Non-executive director and former Oil Search CEO Peter Botten will take the chairman role.
However, Mr Redman will remain “available” to AGL until the expiry of his notice period on October 21.
Concerns about climate change, shifts in government policy and cheaper technology have prompted the decision to split the business.
UBS analysts have said they expect the energy provider in about June will give projected earnings of the demerged companies.
The analysts said they estimated the demerger would then take at least 12 months.
Shares dropped as low as $8.65 on Thursday, and were down 2.65 per cent to $8.82 at 1142 AEST.
AGL boss departs, demerger to continue
• Social and Copy Trading Platform
• Crypto, CFDs, Forex, Stocks
• 24/5 Customer Support
• Beginner Friendly
• ASIC, CySEC, FCA regulated
– Only $100 minimum deposit
– 1:500 max. leverage
– Over 15,000 trading instruments
– ASIC & VFSC Regulation
– Spreads from 0,0 Pips
– Free Demo Account
Well established Beginner friendly Free webinars Regulated: ASIC FCA Platforms: Advantage Web AT Pro MT4 WebTrader
· Canstar Broker of the Year – 10 years in a row
· Trade domestic and 15 international markets – all from one account
· Access advanced charting packages and trading tools
· Two innovative, award-winning platforms to choose from