1min read
PREVIOUS ARTICLE ANZ will fire planners for poo... NEXT ARTICLE Fitch downgrades outlook for C...

Newcrest Mining expects its Cadia mine to return to full production before the end of June, after a breach at the NSW tailings dam in March temporarily suspended all mining and processing activities.

The gold miner previously announced it would use part of its Cadia Hill open pit as a tailings storage dam, sacrificing remaining gold and copper reserves, to help it return to full production.

Newcrest began depositing tailings into the open pit over the weekend and after a short ramp up period, it says it now expects to return to full productions rates by the end of the current financial year.

The company last month cut its full year gold output forecast, mainly on the back of the dam collapse which halted operations at its biggest and lowest-cost mine.

Newcrest then said it produced 575,791 ounces of gold in the three months to March 31, down six per cent from the previous quarter, and forecast full year gold output to be between 2.25 and 2.35 million ounces, down from its previous estimate of between 2.4 and 2.7 million ounces.

On Monday chief executive officer Sandeep Biswas applauded the efforts of employees at Cadia who have worked to restore the operation to normal production.

‘It has been a significant additional challenge to acquire and build the required infrastructure in such short time,’ Mr Biswas said in a statement.

‘Today’s announcement is a true testament to the dedication and commitment of our people.’