The Australian share market looks set to open virtually unchanged and directionless with Wall Street offering no real lead.
At 0700 AEDT on Thursday, the share price futures index was up one point, or 0.02 per cent, at 6,023.
In the US, stocks are little changed, as gains in the technology sector offset losses in energy and helped keep major indexes nearly flat amid low trading volumes over the Christmas-New Year period.
In late afternoon trade, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was up 0.06 per cent, but the S&P 500 was down 0.02 per cent, and the Nasdaq Composite was steady at 6,936.04.
Locally, no major economic or equities news is expected on Thursday.
The Australian market on Wednesday closed flat after its first day of post-Christmas trade, despite strength in mining and energy stocks.
The benchmark S&P/ASX200 index was unchanged at 6,069.9 points
The broader All Ordinaries index was up 2.4 points, or 0.04 per cent, at 6,169.7 points
Meanwhile, the Australian dollar continues to rise against the US dollar which has fallen to a three-and-a-half-week low.
The local currency was trading at 77.77 US cents at 0700 AEDT on Thursday, from 77.45 on Wednesday.
The Aussie dollar has also risen strongly against the other major currencies.
CURRENCY SNAPSHOT AT 0700 AEDT:
One Australian dollar buys:
* 77.77 US cents, from 77.45 on Wednesday
* 88.08 Japanese yen, from 87.67 yen
* 65.35 euro cents, from 65.20 euro cents
* 58.08 British pence, from 57.88 pence
* 110.00 NZ cents, from 109.84 cents
The spot price of gold in Sydney at 0700 AEDT was $US1,288.00 per fine ounce, from $US1,282.31 per fine ounce on Wednesday.
BOND SNAPSHOT AT 0700 AEDT:
* CGS 4.50 per cent April 2020, 2.0788pct, unchanged
* CGS 4.75pct April 2027, 2.6681, from 2.6874pct
Sydney Futures Exchange prices:
* March 2018 10-year bond futures contract at 97.335 (implying a yield of 2.665pct), from 97.473 (implying a yield of 2.527pct) on Wednesday
* March 2018 3-year bond futures contract at 97.820 (2.180pct), from 97.955 (2.045pct).
(*Bond market closes taken at 1630 AEDT previous local session; currency closes taken from 1700 AEDT previous local session)