The New York Stock Exchange says it will delist three Chinese telecom companies from January 11, in another U-turn a day after US Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin told the NYSE chief he disagreed with its earlier decision to reverse the delistings.

The latest move marks the third about-turn, amid confusion over rules set by President Donald Trump’s administration and escalating tensions within Washington DC on China policy.

The bourse had on Monday reversed a decision announced just last week to delist China Telecom Corp Ltd and China Unicom Hong Kong Ltd after consulting with regulators in connection with the US Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control.

Plans to delist the three Chinese firms were prompted by a White House executive order banning US investment in Chinese military-linked companies.

On Tuesday, Mnuchin told NYSE President Stacey Cunningham that he disagreed with the bourse’s prior decision.