SYDNEY, AAP – NSW Treasurer Dominic Perrottet has announced the 2021-22 NSW budget will be handed down on June 22.
The budget released is returning to its traditional timing of late June after being deferred until November last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Mr Perrottet foreshadowed a positive outlook for the state’s economy, saying “things are looking much brighter now”.
“Twelve months ago we were taking the first tentative steps out of lockdown and at the same time facing forecasts by the commonwealth of unemployment as high as 15 per cent and predictions of economic Armageddon,” he said on Tuesday.
“The NSW government responded with an unparalleled package of measures including tax relief worth billions, grants of up to $10,000 to assist small businesses and a focus on continued infrastructure investment and jobs creation.
“We approached the pandemic with a dual focus, keeping people safe and the economy and NSW borders open.”
Unemployment in NSW is currently at 5.4 per cent, down from a high of 7.2 last year after more than 270,000 thousand people returned to work.
Consumer confidence is at the highest level in a decade while a recent National Australia Bank business survey recorded the highest business confidence reading ever for NSW.
Mr Perrottet said the government had committed $29 billion towards health, economic and social support measures since the pandemic began and would continue to invest in supporting people and creating jobs through its $107 billion infrastructure program.