Evacuated residents of Sydney’s Mascot Towers are unlikely to return home in the short term as engineers work to pinpoint the cause of the building’s problems.
About 250 owners met in Sydney on Thursday night for an update on Mascot Towers, which was evacuated on June 14 over cracking in its primary support structure and facade masonry.
Residents of its 132 units have since been forced to stay elsewhere, with costs adding up as authorities scramble to determine those culpable.
Owners at Thursday’s meeting were told engineers would require another four weeks to complete a comprehensive report, according to owners’ corporation spokesman Patrick McGuire.
He said they were frustrated to learn they were still waiting on “vital information” from the local council after receiving some documents in recent days.
“There was a deal of information that arrived yesterday but upon examination that information, additional information that had been requested has still not been provided,” Mr McGuire told AAP.
But in a bit of good news, an engineer advised there’d been “signs of stability” returning to the building.
“So the building has stabilised over the last week or so and the risk profile of the building has been downgraded and has improved,” Mr McGuire said.
The owners’ corporation in an earlier release said it was unlikely the building would be occupied again in the short term. This will continue to be assessed on a month-by-month basis.