A new buy SA campaign and funds to attract more major businesses to South Australia have been proposed by the state opposition in its reply to the state budget.
Labor Leader Peter Malinauskas delivered his response to Tuesday’s budget on Thursday and said the state government had been found wanting in its efforts to stem the economic crisis sparked by the coronavirus pandemic.
“South Australians have done an exceptional job in stopping the spread of the COVID-19,” he said.
“We have had arguably the best health response in the nation and yet we have had the worst economic response and that puts our long-term prosperity at serious risk.”
Mr Malinauskas has proposed the re-establishment of investment attraction fund calling for $50 million to be allocated to convince major businesses to relocate to SA.
He said Labor was also calling for a new Buy South Australian campaign, which would have $8 million to spend over two years to fund advertising and promotion across a range of media and in supermarkets.
“As South Australians, we can do a lot to help ourselves emerge from the economic impact of the pandemic by buying locally, procuring locally and manufacturing locally,” the opposition leader said.
“That’s why a new Buy SA campaign will help support our local businesses.
“We must do everything we can to support local jobs and create new jobs.”