The lobby group for farmers in NSW says it’s pleased government disaster relief grants of up to $75,000 will soon begin flowing to the state’s primary producers, a week after the program’s establishment.
The federal and NSW governments last week announced the scheme which enables bushfire-affected producers to apply for recovery assistance for infrastructure, equipment and labour costs.
Applications for the funding are from Tuesday open.
“It has been less than a week since the grants were announced by the prime minister and to the credit of the NSW Rural Assistance Authority, applications can now be made and claims processed,” NSW Farmers Association president James Jackson said in a statement on Tuesday.
Producers who have applied for the $15,000 “Category C” recovery grant can also access a special disaster grant for a combined total of $75,000.
“Recovery from a sudden and intense event such as these fires will take more time than the fires themselves,” Mr Jackson said.
Each farming enterprise can access a grant, meaning farmers can apply for multiple grants if they own more than one property.
NSW deputy premier John Barilaro said the grants were vital to keeping farmers on the land amid both bushfires and drought.
“The last thing people need to worry about at the moment is filling in forms,” Mr Barilaro said in a statement on Tuesday.
“That is why we have made this a streamlined process with minimal paperwork so people who need money, get money with minimal fuss.”