State-of-the-art services for brain injury and spinal rehabilitation and the treatment of older mental health and dementia patients will be the focus of Adelaide’s redeveloped Repatriation Hospital.
The hospital was controversially closed under the previous Labor government with the Liberals making its reopening a key promise at last year’s state election.
Premier Steven Marshall says the vision for the site is a direct response to the community’s strong view that it needed to be reactivated to take pressure off the health system and provide world-class services for South Australians.
‘The Repat has a long and important history in this state,’ the premier said on Sunday.
‘It honours our veterans and embodies their values.
‘Today we are one step closer to reactivating and revitalising what will be a critical part of South Australia’s future health system.’
Under the government’s plan, surgery and care transition places will also be provided alongside the rehabilitation and dementia care facilities.
Brain injury treatment will be provided by a 26-bed specialist inpatient ward.
An 18-bed unit will also be established to care for some of the most vulnerable South Australians suffering extreme behavioural and psychological symptoms of dementia.
Health Minister Stephen Wade said there had been strong interest from NGOs and private providers interested in partnering to deliver future services at the Repat precinct.
SA Health is currently in negotiations to partner with an NGO to deliver a dedicated dementia village, including 60 places for people who have complex care needs.
A town square will be developed in the heart of the Repat to create a community hub and open outdoor flexible use space including a new wheelchair training and sports gymnasium, refurbishment of the hall and a new cafe.
Opportunities are also being explored to commemorate and provide services to veterans.
‘This final concept plan reflects the thoughts and views of the community and clinicians and ensures future services at the Repat are sustainable and well-equipped to meet the needs of the residents of southern Adelaide and beyond,’ Mr Wade said.
Release of the plan also starts a week-long opportunity for public comment.
The government will then finalise the plan and costings for the site.