The Australian share market looks set to open unchanged with many markets around the world closed for the Christmas period and thin trade among the others over the holiday break.
At 0700 AEDT on Wednesday, the share price futures index was steady, untraded at 6,026.
Europe’s FTSE 100 and Frankfurt’s DAX were closed over Christmas an Boxing Day, as was Hong Kong’s Hang Seng, but the US was trading, with low volumes, on Tuesday.
In late afternoon trading, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 0.09 per cent, the S&P 500 was 0.12 per cent lower, with the Nasdaq had lost 0.40 per cent, dragged down by Apple which suffered one of its worst days since August 10.
Locally, no major economic or equities news is expected on Wednesday.
The Australian market on its last trading day, Friday, crept higher, boosted at the end by strong rises in iron ore and oil prices that offered clear leads to the material and energy sectors.
The benchmark S&P/ASX200 index rose 9.3 points, or 0.15 per cent, to 6,069.7 points
The broader All Ordinaries index gained 11 points, or 0.18 per cent, to 6,167.3 points
Meanwhile, the Australian dollar is higher against a little changed US counterpart.
The local currency was trading at 77.29 US cents at 0700 AEDT on Wednesday, from 77.14 on Friday.
CURRENCY SNAPSHOT AT 0700 AEDT:
One Australian dollar buys:
* 77.29 US cents, from 77.14 on Friday
* 87.47 Japanese yen, from 87.44 yen
* 65.15 euro cents, from 65.13 euro cents
* 57.78 British pence, from 57.67 pence
* 109.82 NZ cents, from 109.95 cents
The spot price of gold in Sydney at 0700 AEDT was $US1,282.42 per fine ounce, from $US1,274.54 per fine ounce on Friday.
BOND SNAPSHOT AT 0700 AEDT:
* CGS 4.50 per cent April 2020, 2.0725pct, unchanged
* CGS 4.75pct April 2027, 2.6874pct, unchanged
Sydney Futures Exchange prices:
* March 2018 10-year bond futures contract at 97.360 (implying a yield of 2.640pct), from 97.255 (2.745 pct) on Friday
* March 2018 3-year bond futures contract at 97.805 (2.195pct), from 97.80 (2.20pct).
(*Bond market closes taken at 1630 AEDT previous local session; currency closes taken from 1700 AEDT previous local session)